Tuesday, August 10, 2010

6 month well visit

We had Luke's 6 month well visit today and I am happy to report . . .

Weight - 18lbs 1oz (50th percentile)
Height - 26 1/4 in (50th percentile)
Head - 46 1/4 cm (75th+ percentile)

Luke is doing really well.  He is continuing to grow on his growth curve.  There is some concern about his neck strength as Dr. Gehle felt his head was a bit tilted and there is some flattening on one side.  For now she recommended some PT so we can learn more exercises to do with him to improve his tummy time.  The need for a full head scan remains at our discretion.  Luke is doing great with food and she encouraged us to incorporated some protein and fat with his purees as well as try a sippy cup with water or formula in conjunction with his mealtimes.  We are still going for a swallowing study next week to confirm all mechanics are working properly.  Reflux seems well managed with medicine but he does still cough to clear his throat during feedings.  We do need to work on weaning him from his swaddle blanket.  She has concerns that this can hinder his movement which won't help the head/neck situation.  That said, we have the green light for cry it out - IF I can stomach it.  Dr. Gehle said there is no need for a baby this age and size to eat at night.  I won't be starting tonight since he got shots today, but in theory I am on board with this plan as those I know who did cry it out with their kids have excellent night time sleepers.  Wish me luck!

As a side note, Kate was wonderfully patient at the doctor.  She read books to herself (loudly, but still) while I chatted with the doctor.  The appointment fell over lunch time and she completely cleared out my diaper bag eating a banana, granola bar, and two bags of dried pears over the course of our office visit but still left declaring, "But Mama, I'm still hungry."  So we hurried home to have a real lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment