Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kate's birthday

I have been slow to get back to the blog, but Kate had a great birthday.   She had lots of visits and phone calls and packages from friends and family.  She was showered in purple and surrounded by those that love her.  By Sunday she was asking when it would be her birthday again.  

A few pictures from opening of presents  . . .




The stuffed Minnie Mouse was intended to be swapped out for Bubba.  Kate, on her own, offered up giving up Bubba when she was three.  I tried to be optimistic, but my realistic, pragmatic self knew that Bubba is so much more than something in her mouth when she sleeps.  He's her ultimate comfort object. She still talks about giving up Bubba, but we've tried packing him away twice since Saturday with no success.  I'm thinking baby steps.  We have renewed our rule of Bubba not leaving her bed.  And I am constantly reinforcing and reminding her not to put Bubba in her mouth.  Just hug him and cuddle him.  Maybe in time we can cut him smaller and he can slowly disappear- if he doesn't disintegrate first!

And a few shots from the pizza party . . . party hats and all!  
Kate had 4 pieces of pizza and a big piece of cake.  


Funny note about the cake.  Kate has been asking for a "strawberry cake" for her birthday for weeks now.  Interestingly, Kate rarely eats any berries and when she does it seems to be a fluke because only moments later she will refuse and turn into a puddle about how she doesn't like them.  But she consistently asked for a strawberry cake.  So in an effort to humor her, I did have her birthday cake split with fresh strawberries in the middle.  When we served it to her, she almost instantly declared in a fit of tears, "But I don't want fresh tomatoes in my cake!"  They were easily removed, crisis averted, and the rest of us did enjoy the touch of fresh fruit with our sugar overload. I guess I should have known not to listen to my 3 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment