Thursday, October 7, 2010

All by myself!

Kate is currently in a big phase of wanting to do things, "all by myself!"  She usually declares this emphatically with some sort of a stomp or huffy puffy.  Things like washing her hands, opening doors, climbing into chairs or her car seat, and lately . . . dressing herself.  She's been working on the shoes for a while now, maybe 9+ months, but lately it's all the clothes.  Getting pants off is easy, shirts is actually quite difficult for her.  Things are often inside out, backwards, or completely tangled.  I am happy to report that today for the first time ever she changed out of her clothes into her pajamas completely by herself.  We got home from the park around 4:50 and she instantly declared that she was going upstairs to change into a "jammy shirt".  While this was not on my agenda for another 2 hours, I knew it would occupy her long enough for me to feed Luke a bottle so I didn't even try to talk her out of it.  I was quite impressed when she came back 10 minutes later and had removed her shoes, shirt and pants and replaced them with a pajama top, pajama pants, and slippers.  Everything was on the right way- even the slippers on the right feet!  The pajamas did not match, but this was intentional, part of Kate's independent statement. She even explained to me that she left on her purple socks because her slippers are purple and she left on her Minnie mouse underpants because they were still clean.  As a finishing touch, she added a necklace.  She does love accessories.  I don't kid myself into thinking she'll now be dressing herself.  I realize this was a lot of luck.  But still she was so proud and she really did do such a good job, so I can't help but record it here as a milestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment